magical mini quilt
18 ‚ÄĚ square
- 2 fat quarters for background fabrics
- 1 fat eighth (fe = 10 x 20) green for the leaves
- 1 fat quarter (fq = 20 x 20) red for the strawberry
- scraps for strawberry seeds
- fat quarter for backing
- ¬Ĺ ¬†metre fabric for binding and hanging sleeve
- get¬†the templates¬†here
- From background #1 cut 5 squares 6 ¬Ĺ x 6 ¬Ĺ‚ÄĚ and from background fabric #2 cut 4 squares @ 6 ¬Ĺ x 6 ¬Ĺ‚ÄĚ.
- Sew into one 9 patch unit.
- Before cutting your applique pieces, note that my sample uses raw edge applique. ¬†If you are choosing hand applique you will need to add a ¬ľ‚ÄĚ around each piece to allow for turning under.
- Cut strawberry, leaves and 11 seeds (the seeds are the size of our now retired Canadian penny) using templates provided.
- Applique pieces to background using your preferred method of applique.
- Applique can be done in a variety of ways. I trace the template directly on the fabric with pencil, cut it out and pin or use a glue stick (lightly!) to hold the pieces where I want them. ¬†I applique the pieces down as I am quilting, one stop stitching! The squares of the backing help to arrange the pieces. There are many ways to applique, choose the one that is best for you.
- Quilt as you like! ¬†Experiment with hand or machine blanket stitch, free motion applique or quilt and applique at the same time (that is what I did)‚Ä¶ and remember HAVE FUN!
- I added a small hanging sleeve to the back at the same time I was attaching the binding, in case you want to hang strawberry love.
Download the PDF pattern here
Any questions? ¬†firstname.lastname@example.org